News Briefs

News Briefs
RCMP in the Sahtu Region made three significant liquor seizures over the weekend including this shipment of alcohol coming into Fort Good Hope by boat on Saturday. Members seized 181 bottles of spirits and an improperly stored firearm. On Sunday, an additional 51 bottles of liquor were confiscated from a second boat. The same day, RCMP intercepted a shipment of alcohol coming into Tulita by boat - the second significant seizure there in two weeks. A male and female from Tulita have been charged in relation.Photo: Courtesy of the RCMP.

Briefs include: man arrested for shotting guns off Kam Lake deck, CNRL project approved with less intense production method, and hunter killed in grizzly bear attack in Norman Wells.

Man arrested for shooting guns off Kam Lake deck

A man has been charged after shooting a rifle from his deck in a Yellowknife neighbourhood on Sept. 13. Robert McLeod, 45, fired off the gun at his residence at Kam Lake, resulting in charges of careless use of a firearm and carrying a weapon for a dangerous purpose. RCMP were at the scene by 9:20 p.m that evening. The accused was found inside and immediately arrested after a rifle and a used casing were found at the scene. McLeod will make his next court appearance on Nov. 18.

CNRL project approved with less intense production method

Following a year of oil leaks at the Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.’s (CNRL) Primrose bitumen project near Cold Lake, Alta., the Alberta Energy Regulator has announced that the company can resume operations using “safer, low-pressure steam flood systems.” Since the original incident, 1.2 million litres of bitumen emulsion have resulted from the leakage. CNRL and an independent panel are expected to complete their final incident reports by December.

Hunter killed in grizzly bear attack in Norman Wells

A hunter from Tenessee was killed near Norman Wells by the Yukon border after a grizzly bear attack on the evening of Sept. 17. Kenton Novotny, 53, was hunting with a guide and had just shot an animal when the bear attacked. Representatives of the RCMP, the department of Environment and Natural Resources and the Office of the Chief Coroner reached the scene the next morning, when they confirmed the death, which is not considered suspicious. ENR said they believe they have caught the grizzly bear, though DNA tests are underway to confirm.

Northern Journal

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Social Networks